Pages

Tuesday 17 December 2019

Day 1, Activity 2, Week 1 (SLJ) - My Culture Background

My Family come from the Polynesian Islands of Niue and Samoa. My mum being Niuean from villages of Makefu & Namukulu (But we come from every village in Niue, these are the only dominant ones we rep) *I was told that by my mum* and my dad Samoan, coming from Leulumoega a Village in Upolu. The foods, mmm the foods from the tradition of my islands are yummy like Takihi, Sipi Lou, Kokoa Alisa etc. Not only are those apart of my tradition, one that is most likely alive in Niue is the haircutting ceremony of boys, I still am understanding the reason of why we do this tradition but for now I know that this is a way to give to charity and a new beginning for the boys who become men. I don't know about my Samoan tradition, but I will ask my dad about some of the Samoan traditions.

Writing this made me learn more about my Niuean background and where I came from in Samoa. Thanks for learning with me.

1 comment:

  1. Fakaalofa atu Litia,

    My name is Mani and I am going to be joining you on the Summer Learning Journey as a blog commenter. I am so excited that you are joining us for the Summer Learning Journey 2019-2020. Have you done this programme before?

    This year I am so excited that I get to read over the Manaiakalani blogs, especially because I have been to your school and met you and your classmates! How is the class anyways? I am really looking forward to summer, aren't you? In my spare time I like spending time with my family and hanging out with my friends. I also love to exercise and write songs in my spare time. What are you looking forward to doing this summer?

    Wow Litia that is so cool that you are part of more than one culture! I have only ever met one Niuean person and they were also Samoan too. I have tasted some of the foods that you stated, my favourite is Sipi Lou, what’s your favourite? I really appreciate you sharing a bit about your culture because I know that it must be very important to you. I like how you write and the respectful way you do it. By adding some bright colours or a few pictures of the to your blog post I think it would really catch people’s attention.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog posts Litia, happy posting! :)


    Thank you,
    Mani

    ReplyDelete